Friday, November 28, 2008
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
That's why I'm responding to his challenge.
My mission? Write one post on my blog this week describing:
A) Something nobody knows about me, or
B) One of my favorites stories from my childhood, or
C) My 10 Top Favorite (Fill in the Blank).
And because you all know everything whacky about me - that leaves out a. And you all know I had a crazy childhood filled with goats, sheep, chickens and what not, that leaves out b.
So C it is.
My Top 10 Favorite uh... uh... let's go with - My Top 10 Favorite Holiday Things. Or:
Top 10 Favorite Things I Love About the Holidays
1) The days off. That sounds lame, I realize, but really. I couldn't be more ecstatic that this is a short week and that I will have the next four days off. The whole turkey thing is just icing. But not turkey-flavored icing. Because that'd be gross.
2) All the parties and reasons to get dressed up. I love getting dressed up in fancy holiday wear. And my company has a fancy schmancy party each year that requires me to get a new outfit every year. I loves it.
3) Getting to spend extra time with my family and friends. Holidays mean VISITORS! And ENTERTAINING! Two things I love, but don't get any of during the rest of the year. And I love cooking for friends. I just don't get to do it often.
4) Two words: Christmas Trees.
5) Two more words: Christmas Lights.
6) And two more: Santa Claus
7) Cookie swaps! I'm doing one through work this year. We had one in our family, but my poor sister got tired out with all of the stress it caused (and it's tough to organize and believe you me-- making 9 dozen cookies is no easy thing.)
8) ABC Family's 25 days of corny, lame, schmaltzy Christmas movies.
9) Slower month at work, allowing me time to regain my sanity and give me more hours in the week to work on all the year end crap I must face.
10) 24 hours of Christmas Carols.
Now, I realize that some of you out there may say "Boo - Christmas is so commercial. yada yada...."
But you know what? I don't care. Keep that thought to yourself, because I freaking love Christmas, all right?
And if I have to hear one more person complain about the fact that I am going to put up my two Christmas trees the day after Thanksgiving, they're going to find themselves at the sharp pointy end of said tree. Like a freaking Christmas angel, all right?
Quit your whining and enjoy the freaking spirit of the freaking season, people.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
I’m doing an assignment by Andy at WildARS Chase to share something nobody knows about me. But I’m going to modify it to fit my needs (what? I get points taken off for that, Andy? Oh, c’mon! I will be talking to the dean about how unfair you are about grading!) Since I don’t have a “I was born a man but now live as a woman married to a man who has no idea” kind of secret, I’ll tell you a bunch of little random facts about me. You know, in case you feel like, up to now, I’ve just been oh-so-secretive about myself…
* I used to be a huge dork of the type where I actually have stories that start with “This one time, at band camp…” Yeah, I was in the band. In high school. And in college (but only three of my four years there in case that makes me slightly less nerdy).
* I’ve never been arrested.
* I have been locked into the back seat of a police cruiser, but only for a ride-along I did as a reporter.
* A farmer who owned goats and chickens, a Mormon, a cop, a guy who turned out to be cheating on his girlfriend and a guy 15 years old than me: it sounds like the start of a joke, but sadly, that’s just my dating history (uh, I’m sure this goes without saying, but my entire dating history took place prior to marrying the PH… just so we’re all clear on that).
* I bit my fingernails until I was in college. And then just stopped. I had never been able to break myself of the habit and I have no idea what made me stop suddenly, but I’m glad I did.
* I’ve puked only three times in my life from drinking, but they all come with funny stories (one involved a piece of bread falling out of my shirt, another was the SJ in bed with me with no pants on story that gets told quite often and the third included me ordering “cabernon sauvigner” with a French accent). I plan on stopping this train right here at the third station and (hopefully) not making any more stops because puking your guts out sucks… even when it includes a funny story.
Monday, November 24, 2008
so, some highlights:
1) there are a number of pictures of me with various characters. this, in part, was due to a direct request from my nephew. he was initially a little trepidacious about meeting some of them, although. there was no real logic behind it. he was cool with Captain Hook, but afraid of Peter Pan. totally cool with Tigger, Pooh, etc., but petrified of Alice.
2) we got there on Saturday, but my dear little nephew was insistent that we were not yet in Disney World. we went to Animal Kingdom. still not in disney world. saw Mickey. still not in Disney World. went to EPCOT. still not in Disney World. went to Hollywood studios. still not in Disney World. not until we were AT the castle, were we actually considered "in Disney World."
3) as we were sitting in the Liberty Tree Tavern, awaiting Pluto's visit to our table, we asked him, "So? Are you in Disney World?" his response? "no, mom. We're in the dinner place."
4) riding tower of terror with the little guy. he's 3.5. so imagine the chagrin of the adults riding the ride with us (no wait, btw - we walked right on TWICE in a row) when he squealed with delight -- not fear.
5) why do i always get the seat with no handles on that ride?
6) i got to ride the goofy rollercoaster again with no one looking at me funny because i was with a child. ditto to the magic carpets and the dinosaurs at Animal Kingdom.
7) it was COLD. i had to wear half of the contents of my suitcase at once in order to stay warm enough. which meant every outfit i wore, i strongly resembled Minnie Mouse.
there's probably more... and I'll have to ask JAL to comment to remind me of some of the highlights. but, right now, i'm buried and must get back to it.
i've missed you, bloggies. and will be around to all of your blogs eventually to see what fun antics i've missed.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Monday, November 17, 2008
Friday, November 14, 2008
2) my husband is expressing his disappointment with me to random waitresses in a restaurant while out with the PH and KAT. even he realized how wrong he was, however, as he tried to get busy with me after 11 last night (unprecendented for us since year 2 when we both have early morning meetings).
3) i wasn't having it.
4) our dog looks at us with some trepidation when we tell him things like: "mommy is a little annoyed with daddy for this evening's shenanigans."
5) our last vacation was with my parents. and i love my parents, really. but there's something about vacationing with them that makes me feel less married and more 16 years old and out with my boyfriend.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
I love you more than most seasons. I do - you're so cool and you come with Christmas, hot cocoa and fireplaces -- which is awesome.
But what the @#% is with the static on my poor hair? Seriously? Just once I'd be able to wear my hair straight and down for more than 2 hours before having to secure it into a nerdly librarian bun. Just *once.*
Screw you and your dry air,
I heart you and your fabulous bargains. But can we discuss your layout? Why do you have to be different in every freakin' store I visit? Why do you insist on hiding things from me? You know I want to buy that fabulous pair of striped tights, and yet? You only carry them in one of the four Targets that I pass on my way home.
Dear Manufacturer of Low-Rise Tights,
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Monday, November 10, 2008
so here's my short list of things that made today great:
1) an awesome email from a good friend of mine whom i hadn't heard from all week (and i miss him a lot).
2) a huge bouquet of flowers delivered to me at work from j. *sigh.
3) a peanut butter pie made by a co-worker that will require me to do an hour and a half of pilates but whatevs.
4) an old flame telling me how hot i looked in a pic i posted on FB (thank you, and i know - and double parenthetical note: FB is still my dirty little mistress to blogger. but she knows it's not serious.)
5) nothing blowing up yet.
6) the knowledge that i only have to get through this week before i'm on vacation next week with Jal and little E and I can't WAIT. i'll bring my laptop to blog from the Happiest Place on Earth.
i know we have to follow our recend award rules and post our pics, and we will this week. scout's honor. although i was never in these "scouts" - so. that doesn't sound promising, does it?
Saturday, November 08, 2008
Friday, November 07, 2008
Thursday, November 06, 2008
Feel free to steal it and repost on your blog! I won't even say that you should say something nice about me (i.e. freakin' lazy sj finally posts, and she was totally lame about it).
1) What would you say your most fundamental flaw is?
i have so many flaws, but one particular flaw is my inability to walk away when i should. this applies to many things, and it's fairly universal. it's very hard for me to let go, even when something is hurting me.
2) What was your dream growing up?
i wanted to be a famous actress or singer. but i think it's safe to say I wanted to be famous (which i funny, because now i prefer to be anonymous). i also wanted to be an FBI agent. in fact, a combination of all three would have been ideal. so, an actress playing an FBI agent who had to go undercover as a lounge singer.
3) What talent do you wish you had?
i can sing a decent tune, but i wish i could play the piano.
4) If I bought you a drink what would it be?
i think it'd be really sweet of you to buy me a drink. you don't even know me! well, unless you're jal (gin and tonic) or srg (tequila sunrise) or KAT (anything goes, but likely, a chocolate martini).
5) Favourite vegetable?
asparagus. even though it makes your pee smell funny.
6) What was the last book you read?
snow angels by stewart o'nan.
7) What zodiac sign are you?
i'm a little crabby.
8) Any Tattoos and/or Piercings? Explain where.
don't you think that's too much information? but really, no. nothing interesting. my vices are more mental.
9) Worst Habit?
i'm a horrible procrastinator.
10) If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a ride?
i'm not sure i know what you look like. so i likely wouldn't recognize you.
11) What is your favourite sport?
um. my what? well. i watch the red sox, and i throw around the pigskin in the yard with j and friends. but i'm the most clutzy person ever. as is evident by my previous travails.
12) Do you have a Negative or Optimistic attitude?
i'm generally optimistic. but even the most optimistic person has her bad days.
13) What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me?
again, since i don't know you, per se, i'd have to go with a general response. i would likely smile politely and move to the back of the elevator and hope you don't talk to me.
15) Tell me one weird fact about you.
i love m&m's, but i feel compelled to sort them by color before eating them. and when i do eat them, i have to eat the largest population first, and work my way around the color groups until they're even. and ideally, i prefer them to have even numbers, but i can work through that.
16) Do you have any pets?
yes, one. Bailey, the english springer spaniel. i used to have a bunny too (Crispix), but my bunny sadly died in December 2007 and i cried for a week.
17) What if I showed up at your house unexpectedly?
i'd be so happy! we never get visitors! i hope you're not allergic to dogs. and please don't mind that my living room is a mess.
18) What was your first impression of me?
again, tricky. but let's go with - i think all of my blog readers are special and awesome. and i'm not just saying that so you'll come back.
19) Do you think clowns are cute or scary?
incredibly creepy. and never cute.
20) If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be?
i would prefer to be better proportioned -- i have particular issues with my nose.
21) Would you be my crime partner or my conscience?
i'll bring the shovel.
22) What color eyes do you have?
brown. but someone once told me they looked yellow, which is a little scary and freaky. i'm not usually so feline.
23) Ever been arrested?
no. i killed all of the witnesses.
24) Bottle or can soda?
i don't usually drink soda. so. a bottle of water?
25) If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with it?
pay off whatever remaining debt we have, redo the bathroom and carpet the stairs. omg. when did i grow up??
27) What's your favourite place to hang at?
my living room. else? with kat and the ph.
28) Do you believe in ghosts?
i'm not sure. when i'm home alone, i definitely don't.
29) Favourite thing to do in your spare time?
i love to read. i also am addicted to online scrabble. i am aware of what a nerd i am, thank you.
30) Do you swear a lot?
i try not to. but unfortunately, i do when i'm upset over something.
31) Biggest pet peeve?
i get really bothered by people when they take advantage of others, or abuse others. i don't like bullyish or manipulative people.
32) In one word, how would you describe yourself?
33) Do you believe/appreciate romance?
i have a great appreciation for it, but i believe that it fades, which is unfortunate. i believe (too much) in the grand gesture and love letters.
35) Do you believe in God?
i believe in a higher power. i'm generally a spiritual person, though not a religious person.
36) What happened to question 14?
it got into a knife fight with question 26. neither was triumphant.