Thursday, November 13, 2008

Another reason to be glad you're not the Pretend Husband...

When we picked the color for the master bedroom in our new house, we (OK, I) chose a pinkish brown that was supposed to go well with the bluish color of our comforter. We painted the walls at night and liked the pinkish brown color of them, although they looked more brown than pink. But when we went upstairs to check out the room the next day, we were stunned to discover we had painted our room mauve (which, for the color-illiterate, is waaaaaay more pink than brown).

The Pretend Husband grumbled about it, but seemed placated by the people who said it wouldn't be so bad when we got our furniture moved in and stuff up on the walls. Me on the other hand? I hated it, but didn't want to admit I made a mistake (and, to be honest, did not feel like repainting the room we had just spent all that time painting when there were, oh, eleventy-hundred other things that need to be done in that house).

I finally sucked it up this weekend, just hours before we were going to be moving our furniture in, when I realized if I didn't do something, I'd probably be living in a mauve room for the next 10 years. Sly as I am, I think I actually got the PH to think it was his idea to re-paint and better yet, he thinks he finally won an argument about the house (and, even better, now he owes me!)

So, instead of moving furniture, we headed out to Home Depot, picked out a nice navy blue and spent the rest of the day slapping on a couple of coats. Which, next to the gray we chose for the hallway, it's looking a little like the Civil War is being fought in our very own house (you know, the blue and the gray? The North and the South? Geez, am I the only one who grew up with a Civil War buff for a father?) In any case, it's a huge improvement over pink.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Mauve is SO much worse than the Civil War. Case closed!

SouthernBelle said...

LOL, I know exactly what it is like to be in a room you hate the color of. I thought I could put up with the blue Husband chose, but I was wrong. I was miserable every second I was in that room. But now we have a beautiful robins-egg blue to cover it with, it will be fantastic.

Also, kudos to the PH for letting you have pink paint! Husband has only allowed it in the room that's going to be my office/dressing room, because he never has to go in there. But mine is more of a cotton candy pink.

Gucci Mama said...

It's always good when you can manipulate events to make them think they're responsible. Good girl.

Srg said...

Rule #1 about painting - never do it in the dark! Cause it's guaranteed to be a different color during the day. The navy blue sounds really nice though. It's a nice dark color - good for relaxing and sleeping.

And J thinks you're dad is so cool with all his civil war info. Especially when the first thing out of J's mouth that night we stopped by was "Cool - they have cannons in the front yard!"

Sam_I_am said...

Fiance insisted on painting all the walls white. White! I'm a color freak and he choses white. He's going to come home one day and find a psychadelic 60s mural on the wall....

Kudos on convincing him that it was his idea. You'll have to have a 101 on how to do that ;-)

sj said...

ooh - sam, that's tough. i can't deal with white walls.

kat, it could be worse. he could have waited four years, and then, i don't know. randomly tell a waitress at a restaurant that he hates it when you're having dinner with friends.

just sayin' :)

SouthernBelle said...

Funny Gals, check out my blog today
: )

Chris said...

"The blue and the gray" - possibly the only phrase where I will allow the gray spelling over the grey one on account of its cultural relevance!

Now you just need to get some yellow roses and your civil war theme will be complete.