Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Can you believe FunnyGal KAT is a mom?!?

Neither can I! But the broken sleep each night, the poopy diapers that fill my days and the little one breastfeeding off of me are starting to make it seem more real.

My thoughts are scattered these days and if I were to wait until I get my act together to post, FunnyKid will be five before that happens. I just don't think I can manage a real post with a beginning, a middle and an end, so you get bullet points instead.

* The Pretend Husband was my hero during my stay in the hospital for a lot of reasons, including being completely awesome while I was in labor. But he really proved his worth when he stopped me from eating corn after I delivered. Knowing that my nether regions were a bit traumatized, he suggested eating a hard-to-digest food might not be in my best interest in the end (pun intended).

* While we have figured out how to get between two and four hours of sleep between feedings, we were complete newbies during our first night home. Did I say newbies? I mean "zombies." We tried to tag team the little guy with one of us sleeping and one of us holding him (he wouldn't sleep unless he was one someone's chest). It resulted in the PH and I each getting about four hours of sleep total. But the FunnyKid slept great so I guess that's what counts.

* I was probably one of those pregnant people who was like, "Newborns sleep up to 20 hours a day. Which will give me plenty of time to get things done around the house. I'll clean while he naps!" Uh, yeah. Not so much. Yes, he sleeps a lot. No, I don't get much done (I consider it an accomplishment when I get either a load of laundry or a load of dishes done in a day). Most days, I'm forced to choose between lunch or a shower (lunch always wins...)

Each day gets a little better in terms of the kiddo and I figuring out each other and a routine. So I should be back in no time with regular (funny) updates about being a mom (and, if I ever get my act together enough to leave the house, about the joys of Wal-Mart). Thank you for all of your good wishes and, if it sounds like any of this is a complaint, I'll leave you with this (which I call, "Worth It.")


Sam_I_am said...

ha, he looks ornery. Must be those snails and puppy dog tails. ;-)

Is it a coincidence that my word ver is "messi"?

Gucci Mama said...

He is darling. You'll get settled into a routine soon!

Kelli said...

How cute! Congrats!

number1aunt said...

He's adorable! Congratulations!

I happened upon your blog a few weeks ago - it has taken me that long to read all the archived posts. Good luck on the new routine!

KAT's little sis said...

Sweetest nephew in the universe! Can't wait to get up there and help out....I will even clean for you so you don't have to worry about doing that while the baby naps (ha!)

Pollyanna said...

He is so cute!

Babies do sleep a lot, but just not all at the same time. They wake up to be changed and fed, and changed, and possibly a change of clothing too. I remember planning to take a trip to Wal-Mart one day and it not happening for five days :)

You guys will establish routines soon enough. Just enjoy your time with him and let the other stuff go.

Sarah said...

When Ian was tiny, my main goal was to take a shower daily, no matter what, and I'm pleased to say that I did in fact manage that. Next most important was to get out of the house at least every other day...I do NOT do well being homebound, and even a ride to and from the post office was therapeutic for me (I had really bad baby blues the first two or three weeks, and getting out was the best thing for me, it seemed. Anything to help make me feel more "normal."). As far as chores, we did the best we could to keep up with dishes and laundry, and didn't even attempt anything else for at least a few weeks.

FunnyKid is adorable! I can't wait to meet him!