Tuesday, December 18, 2007

...And then I beat him over the head with a Christmas present.

What is it with men and Christmas?!? Would it kill them to do their shopping before the last possible moment? The Pretend Husband is terrible about this, to the point where I got tired of waiting and did most of the shopping for his family. He basically only needs to shop for me and he's planning on doing it sometime this weekend.

But this little Christmas tale takes the cake. Yesterday, the PH mentioned that he needed a grab bag gift for a party today. I came up with the idea of a travel mug and a gift card for coffee. Easy enough. Then I drove to Dunkin' Donuts to buy the items, then I brought them home for his approval, then he asked me to wrap them for him.

Like a good lil' wife, I agreed to do it, but didn't get around to it until this morning (because I was busy hanging shades in our living room while the PH watched football upstairs, but don't even get me started about that one!). So this morning, while the PH was getting ready for work, I dug through some closets, trying to find wrapping items for the grab bag gift. No boxes were the right shape for the mug, so I finally settled on a blue gift bag and made it all "purty" with some blue and white curly ribbons.

PH: "I don't want a gift bag. I want it in a box."

KAT: "We don't have any boxes that fit it. This is the only gift bag that was the right size."

PH: "But I want it wrapped up like a Christmas present."

KAT: "Then you can do it yourself."

Not surprisingly, he took it as it was, but had to get in one last remark as he walked out the door.

PH: "Thanks for the baby shower gift."

KAT: (I wasn't going to mention it because I didn't want him to be all self-conscious, but after his comment, I figured he had it coming). "Actually, it looks like a Hanukkah gift. The Hanukkah colors are blue and white."

And I sang the Dreidel Song as he walked out the door.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh married life..
ahhh men and the holidays...

Great comeback by the way!!!

Lisa said...

Hey, at least he GIVES you a gift every year. Mine "forgets". Much like he "forgets" my birthday. And Valentine's Day. And mother's day. Oh and this past year? Our anniversary....

Nice!

And yes, I have always done the buying with it comes to anything for his family.

God, I hope I didn't bum you out. Just because my husband's like this doesn't mean YOUR PH will be. :-)

Srg said...

Ah - the holidays. They bring out the best and worst in people don't you think. All the stress, running around...most guys don't know the half of what we do. Love the Hanukkah comment by the way!

FunnyGal KAT said...

No, I'm not bummed out, Lisa. I figure the PH is still in training, so there are bound to be some bumps along the way!

Today, I mentioned a sweater I saw that I was thinking about getting for myself. The PH asked if he could count it toward the $100 worth of gifts we're getting each other. I said yes and then he asked, "Will you wrap it and put it under the tree?"

Are you kidding me?!? I said, "You are being such a man lately!"

Molly said...

Whip his arse into shape now before it is too late! And I have to say, you are an enabler because if you didn't do these things for him, he would HAVE to do it! So I think secretly you like being the "dutiful 50's style wifey"!!!

sj said...

sorry- i've been buried under used kleenex.

this was SO DAMNED FUNNY. mostly because i can mentally picture the entire conversation, including the incredulous tone you must have used and the sheepful shrug that the PH probably did when delivering this line.

incidentally, i'm lucky that j is great with doing his own presents for worky things. and he does the wrapping.