Wednesday, January 06, 2010

My dreams are now sound tracked by the Super Mario Brothers music....

SJ and I consider ourselves to be fairly classy, mature women. Uproariously funny sometimes, but still, we try to stay classy. And mature. And I think we succeeded...

...until SJ and her husband, J, got a Wii for Christmas. On Sunday, after holiday festivities, too many work hours for yours truly and waaaaaaay too many Christmas cookies, the Pretend Husband and I decided the day was ours to do whatever we wanted. After breakfast with friends, it turned out we wanted to stop by SJ and J's house, rouse SJ out of bed, make fun of her bedhead and mock her as she played some game on Wii (I remember the phrase, "This is a game for 5-year-olds and you're losing" being uttered somewhere in there...)

Then, since we are the proud owners of two Wii controllers while SJ and J are still trying to find a second one, we invited them over to play Super Mario Brothers. Which, oddly enough, SJ and I started playing while the guys watched football in the other room. But the men (10-year-old boys at heart, those two) couldn't resist for long and our game turned into an eight-hour Super Mario Brothers marathon that included SJ's character going through 95 lives (she'll tell you the guys played her character part of the time...), me taking a break to bake cookies, the PH taking a break to make dinner and a short break for all of us to eat dinner before we played one last hour of the game.

We can make fun of the guys all we want for being immature, video game-addicted children, but it turns out that if you give us a chilly Sunday with nothing to do, you're likely to find these two classy, mature ladies right there on the couch next to them.

8 comments:

Srg said...

You'll have to tell me the next time you guys get together for a Wii tourney. I'll send my son over. Cause he beats me in tennis. Every. Single. Time.

jal12771 said...

I can't WAIT To try this game.. and I can't wait to have a Wii tourney with SJ and J!!

M said...

Were there martinis involved? There definitely should be alcohol consumed when partaking in these kind of activities!

Andy - Instafather said...

Jealous. My brother has a Wii, and he said it can get addicting. At least you get to move around with it, unlike the old Nintendo days.

sj said...

okay. first of all, i was NOT LOSING at that game that was meant for five year olds. which, in fact, was the Toy Story Mania game, based on the ride at Disney. I'm practicing so I can beat j.

also, i never played nintendo growing up. so that was tricky. but i did master the art of "bubbling" right when i was about to die. it probably would have been a lot closer to 150 lives.

btw - i forgot we had those cookies still when you came over last night. it could have been a total repeat.

Sam_I_am said...

I really want to play that game. My mom got a Wii Fit so I've been playing at her house. Then my brother videotaped me hula-hooping. the Jerkface. I have an original NES from 1989, so every once in awhile I bust out Super Mario Brothers 1, 2 AND 3.

Soda and Candy said...

Hahahahahhahaha!

YES!

We just got Mario & it is awesome. FYI, I will be stealing the bubbling trick any day now.

Off to play Mario!

Pollyanna said...

Great, now the song is in my head. It's iconic and annoying at the same time.

We had to get another Wii-mote for Christmas so we're up to three. Just one more and we can play all the rockband instruments at the same time (we've got two guitars)!