Monday, December 24, 2007

Gather 'around the fire, children. We have something to say...

When we were little, Santa left large, unwrapped gifts around the tree, while the gifts from our parents were the wrapped ones. As we got older, Santa divided presents into piles for each of the kids.

One tradition in my family was tons of stocking gifts. Apparently, we had some unusual stocking stuffers, which included rolls of film, batteries and almost always a jar of peanuts. (The Pretend Husband and I have continued this tradition and know our Christmas shopping isn’t done until we’ve bought peanuts for each other).

One year, my dad made a turkey for our holiday meal. But he made ONLY a turkey. No sides, no stuffing, no gravy, no dessert. He’s made up for it since, but I’ll never forget looking down at a plate with only a slice of turkey on it.

This year, the PH and I will spend Christmas morning alone together. It will be a rare moment of peace in our hectic lives. While we are enjoying plenty of time with both sides of the family, the time with just the two of us is really special.

Whatever your traditions, SJ and I wish you the happiest of Christmases. May the day be filled with love, laughter, family, friends, good food and moments of peace and relaxation.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

5 comments:

Molly said...

Your first Mr. & Mrs. Christmas! I hope you and SJ have a fabulous time, eat plenty, drink even more (chocolate martinis are on my menu for tonight and tomorrow!) and I hope Santa brings you everything you want and need, peanuts included!

Traditions are wonderful things and I know that I am trying to portray the magic of Christmas to Ned, just like my mom did for me.

Enjoy!

Molly said...

PS: I am still considering the move to Boston so maybe one Christmas we can all drink chocolate martinis together!

Curtis Sports Imaging said...

Betty wants you to know that you got ripped off. Santa always wrapped her presents. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas KAT to you and the Mr.... your first christmas together- spent in peace.. thats awesome!!
Best wished 2008!

Merry Christmas to SJ... my little sis... it just amazes me to see what a wonderful women she has become, Smart, successful and of course funny!!
Ya come a long way from hiding 'stuff' under the bed chicky!! LOL

sj said...

awww.

that was real sweet, anonymous. and molly, you just name the date, and we'll show up with martini glasses and a bottle (or two) of vodka and godiva liquor.

i hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and wish you all peace and prosperity in the coming new year.