Friday, July 27, 2007

That karma, man, can she be a bitch!

A couple of months ago, the Pretend Husband misplaced the passbook for our joint bank account (oooh, look at us being all 1985 with a quaint little passbook instead of electronic statements!). He searched for hours for it, tearing through his car, the house, etc.

All while I said helpful things like, "Where did you last see it?" and "Did you check under BOTH seats in your car?"

It drove the PH crazy that he couldn't find the thing and he was antsy through dinner, thinking about where it might have gone and how much of a pain it was going to be to replace it. Finally, he agreed to retrace his steps with me and... he found it (it was in the pocket of his pants, but he thought he had worn a different pair that day so he checked the wrong pants when he was previously looking). And then we joined the 21st century and switched to electronic banking. The End.

But it seems karma was paying attention back then because, as much as I was sympathetic to the PH's angst, I was also a little too smug. As he sweated and searched and ran around the house panicking, I thought, "I would never lose something that important."

And I was right... for a couple of months, at least. I really only have two bills to be responsible for, but they're important ones because they are the ones that allow us to live in this beautiful house. If I don't pay the mortgages each month, we may not need the PH to continue paying for electricity and cable, because neither is needed in the tent we'll be living in.

Anyway, last night, I went to pay the bills and couldn't find the booklet that has the mortgage slips in it. It's only ever been kept in one place and it wasn't there. So I searched, sweated through dinner, accused the PH of moving it and generally drove myself crazy last night (I even checked the cabinet in the bathroom because... I don't know why, but it seemed like, being the last place the booklet should be, maybe it would be there?)

Around 10 o'clock, I found the booklet tucked into a folder that, yes, contained a lot of paperwork about our mortgage, but shouldn't have included that booklet. I tried to blame the PH for moving it, but he wasn't having it.

I'm working on a theory about Molly digging it out of its hiding place, opening a drawer and slipping it into the folder where it was found, but the details have yet to pan out.


She's saying, "I didn't do it. I don't even have thumbs, dumbass!"

No comments: