Friday, July 06, 2007

It was bound to happen eventually...

It’s official. I’m an adult. How strange that realization came not when I voted for the first time, or when I graduated from college, or paid my own rent, or made the decision to move in with the Pretend Husband, or got engaged, or bought a house… nope, it took a call from my doctor telling me I have high cholesterol to do it.

You KNOW you’re old when you have to start worrying about things like high cholesterol and gray hair (but I’m in deep, deep denial about the gray so I won’t be talking about it, thank you very much). Yup, high cholesterol.

I’m not surprised about the test result because there’s a history of high cholesterol in my family so it was probably just a matter of time. But there is a sense of surprise about having to worry about it right now. I mean, it seems like it wasn’t all that long ago that I was getting my braces off, worrying about who I would go to the prom with and packing for college. Of course, if I’m being honest with myself, that was 12-15 years ago… 15 YEARS! I don’t feel old enough to be able to say, “I’ve been friends with her for 20 years” or “Remember our first grade teacher? That was, oh, 23 years ago.”

I’m not going to get all sappy and start talking about what I have or have not accomplished in those last 15 or so years. I’m pretty happy with where I am right now. But the whole “I’m an adult” thing is still sort of a shock. It means worrying about things like metabolism, cholesterol, fertility (although, not quite yet…) and yes, even gray hair. I’m just not sure I’m ready for that kind of responsibility.

3 comments:

Molly said...

High cholesterol sucks, I get it but every medication they put me on has had side effects, and not pleasant ones!

As for gray hair, that is why dye was invented dear!

sj said...

oh my *GOD*. if you have high cholesterol, does that mean you have to give up ice cream?

because seriously? shoot me now.

i don't even want to know what my cholesterol is. i prefer to the do not ask do not even try to tell me policy.

and molly- both KAT and i get a little happy with the hair dye from time to time.

Bizut said...

My cholesterol is fine, but I'm with you on the gray hair. It's always nice when the 21-year old woman who cuts my hair points them out with comments like, "Ooh, it's like a colony!" and "They're migrating!" *sigh*