Friday, June 30, 2006

When Bathroom etiquette and cell phone etiquette collide.

I walked into the ladies room the other day and there was a woman at the sink brushing her teeth. This is pretty normal office behavior (believe it or not), so I didn’t bat an eye. But then I heard her talking to someone. I thought – that’s odd. Because there’s no one here that she could be talking to. And then, as I pondered that, I heard her spit.

Maybe she’s talking to herself? But NO. She’s not. She’s on the PHONE. in the BATHROOM while BRUSHING HER TEETH.

Now, I’m not sure what the conversation was that may have been very dire and important that she must be talking while in the bathroom and brushing her teeth. I couldn’t tell, because she was speaking a different language than the English I am accustomed to.

So now, I’m contemplating. Can I use the bathroom? I really had to go, after two cups of coffee and an hour and half long meeting from hell. Ordinarily, I am a little peeshy, but I decided that I wasn’t going to be bullied from using the facilities. So then, the decision came up – do I flush, or do I wait in here until she’s done?

What’s the main problem with this train of thought here, folks? Is it, I don’t know, the fact that I’m concerned that I am being rude to this woman talking on the cell phone in the bathroom?

As I wrestled with this whole train of thought, the woman puts her phone down, presumably to floss, and proceeds to put the phone on speaker phone.

And that’s about when I decided to go ahead and flush.

I walked out of the stall and over to the far sink and washed my hands. I stole a peripheral glance over to the Potty Mouth and saw that she seemed unperturbed. She just turned around, picked up her phone, secured her hands free device and went into the stall, chatting away.

I left her at that point, but I remain curious – what could she be talking about? And was that a male voice I heard on the other end of the phone?

4 comments:

FunnyGal KAT said...

I've learned more about complete strangers than I know about some of my closest friends by being subjected to some very personal conversations. I don't know when people will get over the notion that they travel in a protective bubble that muffles sound! Was that woman really SO busy and SO important that the only time she could find to talk to her boyfriend was while she was multi-tasking in the bathroom? Puh-lease!

sj said...

i was so disturbed by the notion that any would bring in the phone to a stall -- let alone when using speakerphone-- that i have since left the bathroom when seeing her on follow-up occassions.

Srg said...

OMG - this had me laughing so hard!! I see cell phones in the bathroom all the time at work, but my question is, how could she talk on the phone and brush her teeth at the same time?

Anonymous said...

Bathroom Etiquette in general in offices is terrible...
I mean I work in an Insurance company- GROWN ADULTS HERE.. WHY Do you need to leave your 'accomplishments' for all to see-- FLUSH THE DARN TOILET!!!
Man...

I only heard a cell phone ringing once- and she did not answer it.. however I have had my cell phone ring while in the bathroom as well- and I have not answered it either...they can wait.. or leave a message...