Monday, March 27, 2006

Two steps forward, one step back…

The weekend went well in Mollyland… we were away for most of the day on Saturday, but made up for it on Sunday when we took the puppy for a ride and bought her some treats (I apologize for all the times I mocked SJ and her hubby for taking Bailey for trips to the store!) I got up at 6 a.m. on Sunday after four hours of sleep to feed the little monster and play with her for about an hour. I fell back asleep and it was the PH’s turn to take the second shift at about 8:30 a.m.
In the afternoon, we took Molly to PetSmart for some doggy shampoo (having only had short-haired dogs growing up, I’m just beginning to realize how much grooming the long-haired versions require!) and to the dog bakery for some treats. I think her biggest treat (aside from all the people who admired and petted her) was getting to sniff at other dogs at the bakery.
So all was well when our little family drifted off to sleep last night. It wasn't until about 5 o’clock this morning when things took a turn for the worst.
The PH woke to the whining and, being the chivalrous man that he is, he nudged me awake and told me to take her out (to be fair, he gets the morning shift from 6 a.m. on to let me sleep…) So I stumbled downstairs in my bathrobe, opened my eyes just far enough to make sure I didn’t step on Molly and somehow got her collar on and got us both outside.
I didn’t realize how beautiful and still the world can be at dawn. I still haven’t fully realized it because I was too busy freezing my butt off and trying to get Molly to “go potty” to do too much sightseeing.
Anyway, back into the house after the pup decided she didn’t really need to go. Tried to get back to sleep while she whined downstairs (“Mom, Dad! It’s light out, let’s play! I don’t care if we’ve only had five hours of sleep… I sleep all day while you’re at work anyway!”) I woke a few hours later refreshed and ready to play with my cute little puppy... until I took her outside and she did nothing, then came back into the house and pooped on the carpet three minutes later! Argh!
As you can see, the potty training continues…

1 comment:

sj said...

this is particularly funny to me because although bailey wasn't too hard to potty train, the way he hunkers down looks so sad and so forlorn - kind of like saying, "thanks a lot for making me squat in the front yard so everyone can see me, mom." i almost expect "spite poopy."

it doesn't help that he naturally has a sad and despondent look to him because of his long springer ears and big sad springer eyes.