Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Working on the Wife of the Year Award

The Pretend Husband called me to ask me whether he could get together with some friends in another state the weekend after FunnyKid is due to arrive. My response was to say we would need to wait and see when the kiddo arrives and what kind of baby they are. I mean, if the baby is three weeks old and sleeps for up to three hours between feedings, then I would have no problem with the PH leaving for a day and a half. But if he or she is five days old and wakes up every hour, then no, the PH is not leaving me because I'm going to need the support.

The PH was shocked at my response because he thought he would get an immediate no, followed by "Are you nuts?!?" So he is happy to wait and see where we stand when that weekend rolls around.

Of course, I couldn't just let it go at that (as proud as I am with my status as the "coolest wife ever" right now). I called him a couple of hours later and said, "You know that weekend you want to go away? Well, SJ wants to have a girls' weekend in Boston the following weekend. You know, one last getaway before her baby is born. Is it OK if I go?"

Let's just say the PH is not even in the running for Husband of the Year. He started to panic and said things like, "What about feeding the baby? Can you pump that early? Is SJ really going to be in the mood to walk around Boston all day? It's different from me going away. The baby doesn't rely on my body for its nutritional needs." I made him sweat for awhile ("Well, it's only fair if you get to go") before revealing that I had made the whole thing up.

I like to keep the guy on his toes.

(Make sure you check back tomorrow-- Wednesday-- for a special post. I won't give away the subject, but it's something I write about only once a year...)

3 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Guys can be pretty funny when it comes to a new baby. He might find that he doesn't want to go on that trip at all. My husband was actually really bummed that he had to go to work and had to be away from his baby for a ten hour block of time. Of course, this wasn't the case with baby number two - the novelty wears off after awhile :)

Sam_I_am said...

Ha, or what if the baby is late and you're in labor that weekend?? What a party crasher!

How is Miss SJ? She's been awful quiet.

sj said...

miss sj keeps meaning to blog.. i swear... and i will...

i have LOTS TO SHARE, PEOPLE. LOTS.