Thursday, July 17, 2008

There's just something about how a baby's head smells...

...that makes you want to take it home (um, the baby, not just its head because that's just sick otherwise!) The Pretend Husband and I have been fortunate enough to be able to get together with our photog friend BAC and his wife (duh, her name is Mrs. BAC!) almost on a weekly basis since even before Lil BAC was born almost three months ago. Not that the evenings weren't fun back then (what with all the shushing from the PH and Mrs. BAC as they tried to watch and discuss and analyze "American Idol" while BAC and I mocked them for being older than 30 and still fans of the show), but the evenings have changed since Lil BAC's arrival.

For one thing, she just smells so good. And she really is one of the best babies I've ever met because she so rarely cries. And there's something about watching her discover things for the first time that's just so inspiring. And yes, I realize all babies probably go through that same fun phase of discovery, but their parents aren't allowing us to spend enough time with them to realize that, so I'm going to limit my explanation of why babies are awesome to Lil BAC until we start getting other invites, OK?

So last night, BAC and Mrs. BAC chose to spend their wedding anniversary with lil' ol' us (I know! Either they realize we're turning into crabby hermits who never leave the house after 6 p.m. or perhaps-- just perhaps-- we're fun to be around). But we went over to their house (no regard for their privacy on their anniversary-- that's us!) and I got my fill of Lil BAC (in truth, I don't think I would feel like I got my fill even if I got to see her every night, but I don't want to sound too psycho here in fear of never getting invited back, you know?)

And Lil BAC smiled and looked around and played with her fingers and just sat there smelling good and... and while the PH will tell you spending time with her makes me really want a baby of my own, I'm not sure I'm ready for the 24-hour commitment just yet. In the meantime, I'm appreciative of the friends who let us sniff their daughter's head until it gets weird or until it turns 10 o'clock, whichever comes first.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can come smell our baby's head anytime! Does this mean you're willing to babysit too? :)

FunnyGal KAT said...

Sure! But you should know that I only babysit for kids that don't cry. I'll have enough of that with my own babies... I don't need to start that part of things early.

Anonymous said...

Babies are awesome! I loved it when Ned was a baby but I love the age he is at now, because he amazes me with how he talks and what he knows. Little people are fun!

Anonymous said...

I agree that babys do have a great smell about them ( that is of course as long as they have no spit up or done anything nasty in the diaper..) ha ha! But I have to agree with Molly too... because little E talks so much now and comes up with the darnest things. Auntie SJ can attest to that I am sure!

sj said...

jal, all i have to say is:

"double d's baby! yeah!"