Thursday, October 15, 2009

This will teach me to be so productive!

Last night was a productive night around Casa de la KAT. I took the dogs for a walk, made dinner, the Pretend Husband got some work done, I baked a cake, I did some laundry, I loaded the dishwasher and then we had a bit of time together on the couch watching mindless television.

Around 10:30, we were ready to haul our weary selves off to bed... just as soon as I put the load of laundry in the washing machine into the dryer. But when I went downstairs, the washer was making a funny noise (why can't washing machines make funny noises at 10 a.m. instead of 10 p.m.?!?) And it seems our old washer has kicked it.

The fun part was the fact that it had filled up with water before dying its quick death. So we had a machine full of clothes sitting in a pool of water. Which led to the fun of us throwing all the sopping wet laundry into a plastic bin, taking it upstairs, rinsing it, wringing it out in the bathtub and hauling it back downstairs in the hopes the dryer could handle it. And the night wouldn't have been complete without the PH and I trying to lay blame (him: "If only you hadn't told me to put a load in..." me: "If only you had done it without breaking the washer...")

So we figured out what to do with the wet laundry, but it still leaves the question of what we're going to do about the laundry situation in general. Stay tuned for my next post: "If KAT lived in olden times" accompanied by photos of me beating a pair of jeans against a rock out by our pond.


kk said...

oh, I am all too familiar with THIS situation.

And washing machines DO make funny noises at 10am...for the people who
DO laundry at 10am!

We used our wet vac (boy that appliance is getting a lot of play in blogs today) to empty ours...

FunnyGal KAT said...

I didn't even think of using the wet vac! Thanks for the tip, kk. That will save me from putting a hose from the machine to a bucket and making the PH suck on the end to get the water flowing!

kk said...

Our machine survived. What happened was a piece of clothing (my nice white long-sleeved t-shirt to be exact) got caught in the agitator, which seemed to burn out the power during that cycle.

Once we emptied the clothing (my shirt was stained from burnt motor) and emptied the tub, the next load worked just fine. And it hasn't happened again since.

Until – having written that – the next time I do laundry. At 10pm.

Karen said...

I experienced that very same tradgedy myself last year.
It's truly alarming how you don't realize just how MUCH clothes you use and how quickly until suddenly catastrophy hits and you're left washer-less.

Best of luck with the rock.

Soda and Candy said...

Oh no, that's terrible! And after such a virtuously productive day too!

PS - heh, the blame game. We do that one to outrageous lengths.

Pollyanna said...

I once went a week without a dryer. I can't imagine the wash machine breaking down!