Friday, March 10, 2006

there's a tear in my hand.

sorry- another unfunny entry.

i got some sad news today. someone i knew once upon a time died suddenly, unexpectedly and too quickly entirely for the rest of us. i have no words of wisdom on the matter, just some reflections.

he was young-- my guess is in his 40s. he was funny and well-loved by anyone who knew him. he was married to a beautiful inside and out woman and their life i'm sure was happy.

when i told j, he responded that life is short, fleeting and love those around you. he's right. so love your loved ones. waste no time on bitterness and resentment. the world doesn't stop when you're gone. people whom you met years ago will recall you when they hear the news of your death, and those whom you touched will shed a tear.

so today i'm thinking of all of those people that I've lost over the past couple of years. there are way too many, but i like to think that since i haven't forgotten them, they're still here, still connected a bit by something.

gary's death brought back a world of people i was once closest to, and it's a good reminder of all of those i've left behind and all of those i have yet to meet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life is too short....I totally agree. I recently had to attend two wakes, one for my friends father, and the other for my friends Father-in-law. The last one, There were so many people there recalling all the memories, a lot of laughter. You go to these things and think, Oh man- I should not be laughing, this is a sad time, but I am sure that the person is lookign down and happy that they are happy tears being shed. That new song by Brad Paisley says it all - happy tears:

"Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah when I get where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here"